Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Pimp for the love of Pimpin'!



  For the last few years, although I enjoyed it, going to the studio has always seemed like a job. I would wake up whenever I would wake up, grab a cup of coffee and eventually make my way to whatever project I had goin’ at the time. It wasn’t bad, but it was a job. I spent a lot of time gazing out the window wishin’ I was any place else.
  Then, one lucky day, I scored my new studio. It was a slow progression getting moved and set up. I turned to a simple charcoal I was working on, opened the garage door, turned up the stereo and started pluckin’ away. A few albums later and my back was killing me. I dropped a few Aleve and went back at it.
  Hours went by, I forgot to eat or even smoke a cigarette as I made progress. I was just standin’ at the easel with a grin on my face…enjoying it. That’s when I noticed things have changed with me.
  My bike and a place to ride to have always been my focus. The bike was always is some sort of disarray so for the last ump-teen years that was where all my focus and money went towards, until lately. The bike is done and is only in maintenance mode. I try to jump on it every day and take at least an hour ride on it. All it ever needs is just a quick going over before long trips and I’m straight.
  With my focus relaxed on the two wheeled wonder I’ve had a chance to realize that I am really only a painter, that’s what I do and with the new shop, a reliable Latowski and a fully operational house that starts every morning I can start setting my focus on other things I.E. painting for paintings sake.
  Painting and the art shit in general has just been a means to an end sinse it became something with deadlines and a way to pay bills. Just like everything else, if you need to do something it becomes a job. People say “you don’t have a job, you paint pictures all day”. Well if that was the case how come you don’t do it for a living?
  I realized yesterday the way my life is currently laid out and it’s looking pretty good. I am not going to make any money at it so I might as well enjoy it. That includes painting; I have a passion for it that I haven’t had since I was going to art school in Philly. I’m jacked up on the smell of oils and the possibilities of what I can paint.
  Oil painting is expensive and there ain’t shit I can do about that. Brushes are pricey for the good ones, the paints can cut into your food money and the canvases are never lying around and cost a shit ton for good ones and half a shit ton for lousy store boughts. All this means that I just couldn’t paint whatever I wanted. I couldn’t afford to lay out a couple of hundred bucks on something I just wanted to paint for the fuck of it.
   Well I scrounged a couple of bucks together, bought some cheap wood working tools and figured out how to build really nice canvases on my own. I haven’t done it in years and was paying to have quality ones made for me. They were great when he money was fat but it’s not so I couldn’t afford the hundred plus dollars per canvas plus the fuel for the car to drive the 148 round trip to get them. Now however I am building up an arsenal of ‘em and just getting ready to go nuts. I have two commissions and two originals on the block and ready to go and I’m just going to attack ‘em because I just want to.
  I want to get back into originals so I am gearing in that direction. I would love to tell you what I have been shooting for ‘em but where’s the fun in that. But I will tell you this; I became a painter for a reason. It just took me this long to realize why…”GTP”

1 comment: